1. The incubation period lasts two weeks
– Not always like this. Previously it was believed that the incubation period is from 14 to 27 days, but now there is evidence that it is possible to get sick two to three days after contact with the source of infection.
2. The carrier of infection has signs of SARS
– The information is only partly correct. Symptoms of coronavirus are similar to signs of SARS or influenza. But observations have shown that the carrier of the infection can remain healthy or be ill in a mild form without pronounced symptoms, this is especially true for young people.
3. For Europeans, the disease is less dangerous
– The assumption has not been confirmed. This is evidenced by the current situation in Italy. Severe disease and fatal outcomes are also noted among representatives of other nationalities. The number of cases of infection, severe course and deaths among residents of the PRC is higher due to the fact that it was there that the first outbreak occurred even before the organization of quarantine measures, as well as in connection with a higher population density. An important factor in the spread of a new type of coronavirus was the coincidence of the outbreak with the celebration of the Chinese New Year when traditionally the inhabitants of the Celestial Empire return to their homeland, as well as China visit a large number of tourists, they subsequently return to different countries, becoming a source of infection.
4. Often sick people over 60 years old
– Diseases are susceptible to all age groups, however, if, among children and young people the disease proceeds in an erased or very mild form, people over 60 years of age, especially those with chronic diseases of the cardiovascular, pulmonary system, cancer, diabetes, asthma, immunodeficiency, heavy smokers die much more often. Statistically, men are more likely to get sick harder than women.
5. With the onset of a warm spring, there will be fewer cases of the disease.
– No, the seasonal factor has nothing to do with it, the virus is not afraid of heat. The primary outbreak occurred in China, currently spreading in South Korea, the climate of these countries is quite mild. It is difficult to predict the duration of the epidemic, according to preliminary estimates, it is 4-10 months.
6. Coronavirus is not more dangerous than flu
– This is true. Despite the spread of infection outside of China, the disease is no more significant than the same flu, measles, whooping cough. For example, from 250 thousand to 650 thousand people die of influenza every year in the world. So, in the United States at the beginning of March 2020, more than 15 thousand deaths from seasonal flu have already been registered. To date, 89 thousand people * have been infected with coronavirus * (data as of March 2), of which about 3 thousand patients have died.
7. In kindergartens, morning performances are canceled due to coronavirus
– Rather, it is a quarantine measure necessary to fight the flu. If the percentage of sick children reaches certain values, they refuse to hold public events.
8. In order not to get sick, you can’t travel to other countries
– You should not visit countries where a large number of cases of infection have been recorded (China, Korea, Italy, Iran). There are no reasons for refusing any trips, but preventive measures must be observed, they do not differ from the methods of protection against other respiratory viral infections: influenza, adenovirus, rhinovirus. It is important to wash your hands regularly, preferably it is less likely to be in crowded places. Mass events often cause a rapid spread of airborne viral infections, for example, the annual increase in the number of diseases occurs during the school holidays, the Kremlin tree, and the end of the vacation period in the fall.
9. Dogs and cats – carriers of the coronavirus, not without reason in Moscow announced the capture of stray animals
– Pets really get coronavirus (we are talking about a different variety), but for humans, it is not dangerous. There is no evidence that dogs and cats can carry COVID-19. Obviously, trapping is a derivatization program in the city.
10. It’s time to stock up on products, the quarantine will be announced soon for all of us
The panic has no reason, we are not talking about a disaster, all measures are being taken to avoid it. You should not trust the false messages that are full of the Internet. Now, for example, thousands of cases are reported in Moscow. This is incorrect information. You can find out about the current situation on the website.rospotrebnadzor.ru.
On a note
If you bought a ticket to Italy, Korea, Iran, contact your tour operator with a request to replace the place of rest or to reschedule the trip. You can refuse a trip entirely on the basis of Art. 10, 14 of Law No. 132-FZ, Art. 451 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation. If you bought plane tickets, paid for hotel accommodation, you can return the money spent by contacting the place of purchase of services. In case of additional questions, call the hotline of Rostourism (8-499-678-12-03 from 9:00 to 18:00, 8-915-117-04-51 from 10:00 to 19:00).