This is from Anissa Helou’s book, ‘Feast’. I had always thought of satay as basically sweet, but her recipe is salty, the only sweetness coming from the peanuts.As you’re using a prime cut of beef, it doesn’t need a marinade. The peanut sauce provides all the flavours you need.
Team these with a cucumber and spring onion salad with a rice vinegar dressing.
Prep time: 5 minutes| Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 100g roast peanuts (not salted)
- 3 shallots (about 80g), finely chopped
- 1-2 red chillies halved, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, grated to a purée
- 125g tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp soy sauce (you may want more)
- Juice of…